How to Apply for a Green Card for Your Parents: A Comprehensive Guide by Nanthaveth & Associates

For many U.S. citizens, reuniting with family members living abroad is a heartfelt priority.

One of the most effective ways to bring families together and strengthen those ties is through the U.S. green card process.

A green card for parents allows them to live permanently in the United States, granting them access to various benefits and the opportunity to be close to their children and grandchildren.

This guide will walk you through the entire process of applying for a green card for your parents.

How to Apply for a Green Card for Your Parents - Nanthaveth & Associates

Parent Green Card Eligibility Criteria

Parents can't apply for a green card on their own, their U.S. citizen child must sponsor them.

Before starting the application process, it’s crucial to understand the eligibility criteria for sponsoring a green card for your parents. U.S. citizens must meet the following requirements:

Citizenship and Age

U.S. Citizenship: Only U.S. citizens can sponsor their parents for a green card. Green card holders cannot sponsor parents but can assist them in other ways.

Age Requirement: You must be at least 21 years old to sponsor your parents.

Financial Support

Affidavit of Support: You must demonstrate the financial ability to support your parents. This involves completing Form I-864, Affidavit of Support, showing that your income meets or exceeds 125% of the U.S. poverty guidelines for your household size.

Status and Residency

Proof of Status: You need to provide proof of your U.S. citizenship, such as a birth certificate, U.S. passport, or naturalization certificate.

Residency Requirement: Your parents must not have any disqualifying factors, such as overstaying visas or having certain criminal convictions.

Schedule a Consultation with Nanthaveth & Associates

Application Process

Applying for a green card for your parents involves several steps. Here's a step-by-step guide to help you navigate the process smoothly:

File Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative

The first step is to file Form I-130 with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). This form establishes the relationship between you and your parents.

Documentation Needed:

  • Proof of your U.S. citizenship (birth certificate, passport, or naturalization certificate).
  • Proof of your relationship with your parents (your birth certificate showing your parents' names).
  • Proof of any legal name changes for you or your parents.

Consular Processing or Adjustment of Status

Depending on whether your parents are inside or outside the U.S., the next steps will vary:

  • A. If Outside the U.S.: Your parents will go through consular processing at the U.S. embassy or consulate in their country. They will attend an interview and, if approved, receive their visa to enter the U.S. as permanent residents.
  • B. If Inside the U.S.: Your parents can apply for Adjustment of Status by filing Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status. After approval, they will receive their green card without needing to leave the country.

Reunite with Your Parents: Schedule a Green Card Consultation Today

Ready to bring your parents to the U.S. and reunite with your family? Contact Nanthaveth & Associates today to schedule a consultation with our expert immigration attorneys and get personalized guidance through every step of the green card application process. Let's make your family's dream a reality!

Green Card for your Parents - Nanthaveth & Associates

Green Card For Parents FAQs

Learn about the requirements and process for U.S. citizens sponsoring their parents for a green card, including eligibility, timelines, fees, and necessary interviews. This FAQ covers the key details to help you navigate the application smoothly.

How to Apply for a Green Card for Your Parents - Nanthaveth & Associates

Nanthaveth & Associates' Expertise

Navigating the green card process can be complex, with various forms, documentation, and legal requirements. This is where Nanthaveth & Associates can make a significant difference. Our team of experienced immigration attorneys specializes in family-based immigration, providing personalized support to ensure your application process is smooth and successful.

Why Choose Nanthaveth & Associates?

Expert Guidance: Our attorneys are well-versed in immigration law and stay updated on the latest changes, ensuring your application meets all requirements.

Personalized Support: We understand that each case is unique. Our team provides tailored advice and assistance based on your specific circumstances.

Comprehensive Service: From initial consultation to final approval, we guide you through every step of the process, including filling out forms, gathering documentation, and preparing for interviews.

Schedule a Consultation with Nanthaveth & Associates

Applying for a green card for your parents is a meaningful way to strengthen family bonds and offer your loved ones a new beginning in the U.S. However, the process can be intricate and challenging. This is why professional legal support is invaluable.

At Nanthaveth & Associates, we are committed to helping you achieve your dream of reuniting with your parents. Our expertise and personalized approach ensure a smooth and successful application process.

If you're ready to start the journey of bringing your parents to the U.S. or have any questions about the process, don't hesitate to contact Nanthaveth & Associates. We're here to help you every step of the way.

Nanthaveth & Associates Branding Guidelines 72dpi8

11211 Taylor Draper Lane Suite 107
Austin, TX 78759
Tel: (512) 371-9000

Hours: 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM

Payment: all major credit cards, cash, check, money orders, cashiers check

Privacy Policy


Directions To Our Office

Areas Of Service